MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Author Topic: Nikon 85mm f/1,8G halo / axial cromatic aberration  (Read 2239 times)

Offline walTARINA

Nikon 85mm f/1,8G halo / axial cromatic aberration
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:17:18 pm »
<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Camera-Lens-Database/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-85mm-F18G">this page on the website</a></div>

The Nikon 85mm f/1,8G is a good lens for portraits.
However, the halo (or axial croma) is really strong, creating magenta fringe in high contrast area. I get also the green fringe in artificial light in contrast bokeh-area, and this can't be corrected easily with CS6 or NX2. Therefor I don't like to use it outdoors. I don't see you mentioning anything about this feature in your review. Strange (unless there is something wrong with the particular lens that I have), since this is more difficult problem than vignetting.
AF is also rather slow, not for capturing fast-moving children.

I noticed this weaknes in the shop, therefor had no unpleasent surprises after unboxing it home.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:22:58 pm by walTARINA »

Offline ddcakir

Re: Nikon 85mm f/1,8G halo / axial cromatic aberration
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:05:53 am »
I have similar problems with the lens, it has real issues in terms of abberation, and corrections in photoshop cannot resolve the problem completely.

Offline Fotograf

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:03:35 pm »
I have bought the lens, together with the Nikon D5300 and the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. I am dissapointed with both lens when compared to the Sigma 60mm F2.8 for my Sony a6000 which is stellar sharp and has really low CA.
Why is the Nikon 85mm F1.8 one of the best lenses in the world (according to Dxomark) - no idea.

Offline Fotograf

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 12:07:15 am »
A value of 4 µm Chromatic Aberrations for the lens I find to be too low, the amount of CA is huge.