Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lens performance for compact cameras  (Read 1557 times)
jfy65

« on: March 26, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
Lenses are often quite weak on compact cameras. However DXOmark publishes score for the sensor only. Is it possible to draw any conclusion from this measurement as to the photographic quality of the camera including the lens ? Do you plan to test the combination of lens and sensor as you do for DSLR ?
Thank you for your reply.
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in DxOMark.

Actually we measured some lenses for compacts (Canon G1X and Sony RX1), but it is not systemically performed (it would take a lot of time and we are not sure that this could be the first priority for our reader).

However we should publish soon an in depth analysis of the Nikon Coolpix A lens for instance...

Best regards,

The DxOMark team
jfy65

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »

Hello,
Thank you for your reply but I was actually referring to compact cameras with a fixed lens such as Canon G15, Panasonic LX7 or Nikon Coolpix P7700. As the user does not have the choice of lenses, the score and measurement for the sensor only do not help much if the lens is weak.
Since there is only one lens to test for such a camera, I think the workload for your test team would be minimal, and you would please a lot of enthusiasts who like to carry an expert point and shoot compact camera in addition to their DSLR gear.
Best regards.
jfy65

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »

Hello,
Since I have had no answer to my previous post, I turn it into a question. Maybe I will be more lucky...
Do you plan to test the combination of sensor and lens for Canon G15, Panasonic LX7 or Nikon Coolpix P7700 ?
Thank you for your reply.
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

Hello,

For now we do not plan this test. It might be possible if we have some time left but for now there is a lot to do before!

Best regards,

The DxOMark team
darrask

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »

I would like to support jfy65's remark for fixed lens measurements.

For the moment, users can only compare compact camera sensor scores. But it does not really make sense, because the lens is fixed and inherently part of the system.

What good does it do to have a wonderfully performing sensor, think of Canon S110, if the lens is so slow that you lose a few stops in comparison to, let's say the Panasonic LX7. That translates to a very big difference in the DxoMark score, which completely makes the subtle differences you measure between sensors irrelevant.

People can understand that you do not have time to publish measurements of fixed lenses, even though there would not be that many combinations to test, and possibly lots of people curious to know.

At present, the scores for compact cameras are at best misleading because you do not explain readers that the lens is not taken into account for compacts. Why not adding an article or notes in the relevant sections of the "about" pages?

One more thing: lens apertures are not even mentioned in the compact camera specs pages.
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

Hello!

Thanks for your interest in DxOMark.

Compact lenses are measured too but not systematically, but this is something we will try to improve in the next few month, for now the next lenses from a compact camera to be measured will be the one of the Nikon Coolpix A.

Best regards,

The DxOMark team
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: