Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharpness Comparison With M43  (Read 1414 times)
borispmchan

« on: April 20, 2013, 05:50:51 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
I wonder if the sharpness comparison made here is fair since the NEX7 carries a 24MP sensor yet the Lumix carries a 16MP sensor, i.e. if they have the same score of 9MP does that mean the Lumix G lens is actually sharper? I know system-wise the score is objective, but I believe more credits should be given to the Lumix G lens engineers for making sharper optics.
Vitruvius

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »

24 Mpx on APS-C VS 16 Mpx on M43 would be about the same pixel density so why would these be any different for scoring?
borispmchan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:55:02 AM »

24 Mpx on APS-C VS 16 Mpx on M43 would be about the same pixel density so why would these be any different for scoring?

Of course there is a (huge) difference! A low resolution lens on a high resolution sensor can potentially earn better P-MPix score than a high resolution lens on a low resolution sensor and that is the difference! Wink
If I calculate a ratio between P-Mix and sensor MP
the Lumix lenses scores 9 P-MPix on a 16MP sensor; i.e. 0.5625
the Sony lenses scored 9 P-MPix on a 24MP sensor; i.e. 0.375
if the MTF test can be conducted on the same sensor, that would be a fair test for the lenses. 
DtEW

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sony-E-35mm-f1.8-and-Sony-E-10-18mm-f4-A-Very-Good-Standard-and-a-Wide-Zoom">this page on the website</a></div>I wonder if the sharpness comparison made here is fair since the NEX7 carries a 24MP sensor yet the Lumix carries a 16MP sensor, i.e. if they have the same score of 9MP does that mean the Lumix G lens is actually sharper? I know system-wise the score is objective, but I believe more credits should be given to the Lumix G lens engineers for making sharper optics.

Fair?  How about the fact that the Panny 25mm costs more and lacks OSS, while Panasonic bodies don't have IBIS?  Shall we test lenses while we mount them on a handheld motion simulator so more credit can be given to the Sony engineers, who were able to engineer effective optical stabilization while maintaining a high level of optical integrity?

Did it just drift into your mind to stipulate (against DXOMark precedent) that the Panny 25mm should be tested cross-brand on an Olympus E-M5 body?  Well gee, the NEX has no 5-axis IBIS... I wonder if such a performance comparison would be fair in the same vein of your original demand to handicap the competition "to be fair"?

Framing a comparison in a specific way to favor one side or the other is the oldest trick in the book.
borispmchan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sony-E-35mm-f1.8-and-Sony-E-10-18mm-f4-A-Very-Good-Standard-and-a-Wide-Zoom">this page on the website</a></div>I wonder if the sharpness comparison made here is fair since the NEX7 carries a 24MP sensor yet the Lumix carries a 16MP sensor, i.e. if they have the same score of 9MP does that mean the Lumix G lens is actually sharper? I know system-wise the score is objective, but I believe more credits should be given to the Lumix G lens engineers for making sharper optics.

Fair?  How about the fact that the Panny 25mm costs more and lacks OSS, while Panasonic bodies don't have IBIS?  Shall we test lenses while we mount them on a handheld motion simulator so more credit can be given to the Sony engineers, who were able to engineer effective optical stabilization while maintaining a high level of optical integrity?

Did it just drift into your mind to stipulate (against DXOMark precedent) that the Panny 25mm should be tested cross-brand on an Olympus E-M5 body?  Well gee, the NEX has no 5-axis IBIS... I wonder if such a performance comparison would be fair in the same vein of your original demand to handicap the competition "to be fair"?

Framing a comparison in a specific way to favor one side or the other is the oldest trick in the book.

Read carefully, sir. I'm just talking about the SHARPNESS (TECHNICALLY), not about the price/performance ratio whatsoever, which is definitely another matter.

A Ferrari may cost a lot more but it can do 200MPH, while your average Toyota may do no more than 120; when driven by a certain so-so driver both may do just 60MPH in a quarter mile, but does that mean it's fair to say "the Ferrari is just about as good as a Toyota, but actually the Toyota is better since it costs just a fraction"? Hell no, sir. Faster is faster, sharper is sharper, it's just a matter of fact.

There's naught fanboyism here, I'm merely questioning the methodology DXO does the sharpness score. If DXO is going to do another test over effectiveness of image stabilization, that's yet another thing to question. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: