Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 484 times)
vitaly

« on: May 02, 2013, 03:45:43 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
Many thanks for the review.
One question about these measurement: are the sharpness results reported for a certain distance taken from single spot or averaged over all points at that distance?
The reason I'm asking is that I've used several copies of the lens and they all had unusualy high decentering with at least one of the quarters of the image looking much worse than the other ones. This is most obvious at the long end of the zoom and can be also seen in many other tests done online.
parrysights

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »

Great question, I hope you get an answer. My experience is that lenses aren't all 'perfect' they are arguably good, but some sort of 'averaging' analysis would be great, whether that is for different areas of the image or focus distance, or even different units.

The bottom line is that these analyses are good, and permit reasonable inter lens comparisons. On the basis of DxOMark's analysis for the Nikkor 24-85 VR, and a similar analysis of the Nikkor 24-120 f4 VR, there was no reason to go for the far more expensive 24-120. This was particularly the case when I was able to pick up an unopened 24-85 VR for about $900 less than the 24-120 from an individual who bought the D600 package with the free 24-85, and wanted to get some of his original purchase price back.

I'd love to see more detail on the testing procedure, but at some point you need to just move ahead and do the best with what you have and can afford. 
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for you comments.

To answer your question, sharpness is measured at a distance close to infinity (basically 40 times the focal distance).

Hope it helped.

Best regards,

The DxOMark team
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: