Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony 300/2.8 SSM scores much too low...  (Read 477 times)
rtrechow

« on: July 10, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
Hi,
from my rather long experience with the predecessor, the still "current" 300/2.8 SSSM, there has to be a mistake in the testing of the new Sony lens - it will not be worse than the old version (or will it?).
And the current 300/2.8 SSM is at least on par with the Zeiss 85/1.4 AF or the 135/1.8 AF which I use, and A LOT (and I mean: A LOT!) sharper than the Sony 35/1.4, for example - it is one of or even the best lens in the Sony system (for an impression, just look at Sony┬┤s MTF charts).
Almost everybody in the Sony forums who has access to that lens says the same... - so could there have been a mistake?
A focus problem or a "faulty" lens, for example?

I would LOVE to see a retest with a second item - Sony company should be interested in putting the result right and proving the 300/2.8 SSM to be the "stellar" lens it is... - the current version is indeed!
Thank you,
Ruediger
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Hello!

Thanks for your interest in DxOMark.

Sony lenses we analyzed were provided by Sony itself. About your remark on the 35mm f/1.4, DxOMark results confirm what you noticed (please check the comparison here Sony 300mm vs 35mm f/1.4).
If you only look at the Sharpness score, the 300mm is far higher rated than the 35mm f/1.4. However the DxOMark score is performed in lowlight condition. In such illumination, the larger aperture of the Sony 35mm f/1.4 enables a lower noise on the SLT A99 sensor. That means that you will finally get a similar IQ on both couples: on one side (300mm), you have a sharp image but with an higher level of noise, on the other side, the image is softer but without noise.

Best regards,

The DxOMark team
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:40:29 PM by Emilie_DxOMark » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: