Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A brand new camera with outdated image performances: back to 2009?  (Read 794 times)
Dom38

« on: August 29, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
As soon as I heard the news about the 70D dual pixel sensor and the fact this new body will replace the existing 7D that will not be produced anymore, I was very excited to hear about its performances. As a canon photographer currently using a 7D, I am disappointed. The new 70D sensor is obviously equal to the 7D (a camera body launched in 2009!) in term of performances, mainly because Canon put the focus on the video performances and not on the photo performances. In France, 7D body currently costs 999€ in popular high tech shops. For this price I got a 1x viewfinder and higher frame rate and (ok) no dual pixel to enhance the AF in video mode (but I only use video features occasionally as many photographers)... So, if I well understand, Canon is just launching a brand new camera body having the performances of a 2009 camera (7D, D300…) with some additional video features...  cool! When the 7D will be out of stock Canon photographers will have to buy a low-cost 6D body of a highly expensive 5DmkIII to get sensor with state-of-the-art performances: this is not faire for those who have invested in highly expensive lenses and cannot switch to other brand so easily :-/
sim62

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

The message is clear: if you want a better sensor, pay for FF.  Will see if it works.
Dom38

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »

The message is clear: if you want a better sensor, pay for FF.  Will see if it works.

Yes that seems to be the Canon message, and even on FF cameras Nikon sensors are slightly better. How lucky Canon is that Nikon has so much problem of the D600...
I have tested the Canon 6D and for me it looks like a Canon 400D in with a 5DmkII sensor and the right DIGIC processor... Good camera but it is not worth 2000$.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: