Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: performance comparison of same lenses on 24MPix DX vs FX  (Read 660 times)
mjwicki

« on: October 03, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
First, many thanks for the great job You are doing.
Especially I was eagerly waiting for Your results on the D7100.
After having used a D300 for about 5 years, I decided to switch to FX with the D600. But to keep my reach in telephoto for long distance portraits during travels (400-600mm) I got a D7100 as a second body but did a lot of practical comparison testing partly with the same FX lenses
(i.e. 70-200/4, 16-35/4, the new 18-35, etc), partly with the respective DX counterparts(i.e. 12-24/4 DX vs. 18-35 FX or Sigma 17-50/2.8 DX vs 24-85 resp.120 FX or Sigma 8-16 DX vs. Sigma 12-24 FX).
Especially I looked at detail capability, border/corner sharpness and noise behaviour in low/bad light conditions resp. shady areas.
From this personal experience I would call the D600 a fault tolerant workhorse which under most conditions does a very good job.
Compared to that the D7100 many times seems to behaves like a sensible race horse, which can deliver fantastic results but requires optimal conditions like much light, short shutter times, the shorter the better and highend lenses which are able to satisfy the much 'denser' sensor of the D7100 compared to the D600.
Concerning my lens comparisons, none of the DX lenses I tried on the D7100 could beat or even reach the IQ of comparable FX lenses on the D7100. On the other hand, the IQ with the same FX lenses when used on the D600 easily outperformed the D7100 especially under not optimal conditions as mentioned above. At max I could achieve similar IQ with the D7100, when having optimal conditions and taking care of the experienced requirements. 
Sice quite a time I wanted to share and discuss my experiences with You resp. the readers of this forum but wanted to wait for Your measurement results.
Now if I compare Your values for DXO Score and P-Mpix of the same lenses between D7100 and D600, I have the feeling that this underlines my practical experiences; or am I wrong in comparing those values ?
Both are 24MPix cameras and I simply want to find out what to get from this two different bodies with the same lenses.
I would really appreciate if You could/would provide a review about this topic, because from my experience up to now my personal question is:
Why should I use a 24MPix DX body if there is a 24MPix FX body available, which easily delivers better results in many situations and is not that much more expensive and only slightly heavier and bigger.
Especially as, reading Your results, all the top performing lenses on the D7100 are FX lenses.
Kindest Regards, mjwicki
Emilie_DxOMark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for your kind support Smiley

Thanks for this proposition we will check if we have time for this very interesting topic.

Best regards,

The DxOMark team

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: