Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RED Dragon Results  (Read 529 times)
makofoto

« on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
As a cinematographer (35 years)  (and a still photographer 50 years) the results of this test both surprise me and doesn't surprise me. The manufacturers of motion picture cameras have been putting a LOT of effort into duplicating the dynamic range of film. But still shooters are of course the masters of analysing individual frames. Motion picture cameras need to be able to process and spit our files at 24 frames per second at a minimum but cameras like the Dragon can hit up to 300 frames per second! You can tell that they are doing a LOT OF PROCESSING by how (very) hot they can run, but then they are designed to handle the heat. The Dragon has two extra fans as compared to the Epic that preceded it. And it's main fan was upgraded. Note that when rolling the camera fans have to go into quiet mode so that the sound dept. doesn't hear them.

As a cinematographer ... I'm very proud that a little company like RED, as compared to the titans like Nikon/Canon/Sony have beat them. I haven't read the entire test but NOTE that the Dragon can also shoot in HDR mode for even greater DR! AND the generally acknowledged KING OF DR in the movie Biz is the ARRI Alexa camera. EVERY movie that was nominated for a BEST PICTURE or BEST Cinematography award for 2013 (last nights awards) was Shot on an ALEXA! Looking forward to your test of that Masterpiece.

Recently it came to light that the original OLPF was flawed and is now being replaced. The flaw mainly concerned flares:  http://www.motionvfx.com/mblog/red_dragons_awful_red_flare_getting_fixed,p3083.html
parisrem

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »

Yes, I would love to see the results from Arriraw from the Alexa as well. While it's not a camera that could be used for most stills applications, the test would be very beneficial to those of us in the motion world. Thanks for this test of the Dragon sensor. Very informative.

im.thatoneguy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »

I wouldn't describe the winner (Gravity) as "Shot on Alexa" considering only about 5% of the frame was live-action.   If anything for the second year in a row the best cinematography award winner was an animated film.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:06:59 PM by im.thatoneguy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: