Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sensor test of 5DMIII  (Read 40713 times)
eireann

« on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
So, when is the sensor test coming out for the Canon 5D Mark III? Its available in the shops for longer than the D800 and the D800 is tested already. I can buy a 5DMIII right now if I want but nobody knows when the D800 will be on the shelves. I would also be interested in the test results of the D800E
SLRist

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »

Haha.

I'm sure DxO Mark have already carried out their tests. They'll be hoping to use them to bolster their site visits.

I imagine they're keeping them under wraps for a while until all the hits they're getting following the D800 results start to ebb away.

It's all about maintaining site traffic, after all.
fishnose

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »

It's all about maintaining site traffic, after all.

Not only that. It's also about not overloading the site. After the D800 results were released the site nearly crashed.
SLRist

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:26:15 AM »

I just checked, and they're not serving through a CDN. Crazy.
drinls

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »

I think that the technicians, who will evaluate the Canon 5D Mark III sensor, must be on Sabbatical leave or they didn’t get the memo that the sensor needed to be evaluated.
pmgeller

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »

I'm also wondering why the sensor tests on the 5D mark 3 haven't been posted ? We rely on DxOmark to make informed decesions, and it is impossible without data. The Nikon cameras seem to be tested faster than the Canons, wonder what that is about ? Please DXOmark techs get those stats up on this camera !!!!
axel
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

Hi,

No specific tactics behind the absence of 5D Mark III results.
It is unfortunately a very simple and frustrating reason: It was much easier to get a production sample of the D800...

Axel
Royl

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »

So did you get a 5DIII?  This seems backwards, given the difficulties getting any of the new Nikon cameras.
pmgeller

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »

I appreciate the reply of the administrator re my questions about the Canon 5d mark 3 sensor report.  However I am wondering when we might see the report. 
Interesting that your ability to get the camera seems hampered in some way, as I have had one for three weeks now. However, with the Nikon sensors looking quite good I need to decide if this will provide the best quality of images for me.  The sensor data on the 5D mark 3 would be extremely helpful.  I would urge the listing of this report as soon as possible.  As I stated before your data is highly respected and regarded. The perception of fairness regarding the listing of the two major brands of Camera Manufacturer's two new BIG cameras would seem to require that data on them  be listed somewhat sequential to their releases dates.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.    Peter
artur1016

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »

i had a talk today with a japanese friend who has close ties to canon:
the dxo-results of the 5d3 look so poor compared to the newest nikons,
that presently canon and dxo are debating the issue. there are certainly strong
features of the 5d3, but the standard dxo-figures make it look inferior.
SLRist

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

That I find much more convincing. That DxO have not been able to lay hands on a 5D MK3 for testing I find incredible. They are freely available everywhere,and far, far easier to get hold of than the D800. It's no surprise at all to me that the 5D is inferior to the D800. Canon have never managed to get a single sensor into the top 10 of DxO Mark. I'd personally be surprised if it was better than the D700. I guess the question is whether DxO are truly independent or not. If they can be influenced by manufacturers to withold information, then their credibility as an impartial resource of data is significantly under-mined. I think we all know that the 5D MK3 is going to rank lower than the D800 - one suspects that Canon are finding their price point above the D800 somewhat hard to justify in the circumstances. I await the outcome with interest.
vdhamer

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:26:25 AM »

Canon have never managed to get a single sensor into the top 10 of DxO Mark.
Hmmmm. Let's have a look: the top ranking Canon is the 1Ds3 from 20-Aug-2007. It currently ranks "only" 13th place on DxOMarks list. But all higher ranking cameras are newer. They date..

• from 2012 (2x: D800, D4)
  • from 2011 (2x: IQ180, NEX7)
  • from 2010 (2x: 645D, K5)
  • from 2009 (2x: P40+, D3s
  • from 2008 (3x: P65+, D3x
That puts the 1Ds3 in the 1st or 2nd position when it was introduced in 2007. Note also that five of these 12 cameras are in a much higher price class and some of the others are very recent. So although Nikon did overtake Canon in sensor noise, the 1Ds3 and 5D2 were state of the art in the year they were introduced.

I'd personally be surprised if it was better than the D700.
The D700 has similar scores to the 1Ds3 and 5D2 (80,80,79). So that would imply that Canon hasn't improved at all since the 1Ds3 (2007) and 5D2 (2008). Initial reviews show significant improvements. So this can't be right.

Based on reviews so far, Canon may just have less noise at high ISO than the D800. Not sure about the other 2 measurements though. So although the D800 is great and is likely to stay in the lead, the Japan rumor is undoubtedly just a rumor. My guess would be a score somewhere in the range between D3x|D4 (88|89) and D800 (95). After all, Canon probably used the D3x (2008) as a benchmark.

Peter
KJP

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »

I have followed DXo for a number of years using it as part of the decision making process. That has now stopped. Their inability to post the 5D3 marks is like an epiphany, it indicates that there are outside influences in this reason. The feeble, disingenuous reason they post for not giving the results are further enhancing this realization.

The conclusion is that THEY ARE NOT INDEPENDENT.

Oh well it was good whilst it lasted and I feel a little duped in not realizing sooner.

KJP
pmgeller

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

the idea that DXOMARK may not provide precise and independent ratings is a point of concern.  As someone who relied on them for years for a clear idea of a camera's sensor abilities, I trusted their ratings.  If that is no longer the case as suggested then what value is their opinion ?

I would appreciate if someone from DXOMARK can clear up this controversy and refute the allegations of bias. The allegations made are quite disturbing.

DXOMARK can also post the 5d mark 3 ratings immediately whatever they are and show us they can be trusted as an independent source of information.   PMG
Ringdahl Photography

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:26:57 AM »

The answer DXOmark gave is perfectly reasonable and adequately explains the delay for the 5D Mk III results.

For their sensor tests, they measure the raw data from the sensor prior to any processing. This means they have to electrically attach directly to the sensor (or at least somewhere prior to any processing the camera performs on the RAW data). Even if they have all the information from the manufacturer about the internal electrical interfaces between components, they still have to connect their test equipment to those interfaces to measure the data. That can take time. And if they do not have the information from the manufacturer, they add in more time to reverse engineer the device.

Given that they had difficulty getting a production sample for the 5D Mk III, it is quite likely they did not obtain it until long after they had obtained the production sample of the D800. The availability of a camera in the store has little to do with obtaining a production sample. Production samples are often times delivered by the manufacturer prior to a product reaching stores.

I can not imagine DXOmark is holding back results unless they believe the results may be inaccurate for some reason. I have seen this happen with another independent lab doing tests on computer systems. They held back their data because the results were so good they could not believe they were accurate without confirming the validity of the testing methodology and retesting to confirm. I'm not saying that is the case with the results for the 5D Mk III. I am merely giving an example of a valid reason to delay the release of the results.

So I would suggest patience. I'm sure the data will be out soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: