Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D3200 sensor  (Read 4757 times)
bobn2

« on: April 26, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
I think you are wrong about the identity of this sensor, it is not the Sony NEX sensor - at least it does not look like an Exmor and it is a different size. I think when you come to test it, it will show more in common with the D4 sensor than the Sony ones.
evilthought

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

Yes, D3200 sensor is not the same as Sony's sensor in Nex-7
haeberle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »

I think you are wrong about the identity of this sensor, it is not the Sony NEX sensor - at least it does not look like an Exmor and it is a different size. I think when you come to test it, it will show more in common with the D4 sensor than the Sony ones.
I am also trying to figure that out, therefore my question: What do you mean with "it does not look like an Exmor"? And also, in what respect will it have something in common with the D4 sensor? I can't make much sense out of this, since the D3200 and the D4 sensors are about as far apart (spec-wise) as I can imagine (24MP on DX format vs. 16MP on FX format)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:19:30 AM by haeberle » Logged
MikeWhis

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

Problem is, although the physical looks doesn't make it look like a Sony sensor, but the dynamic range and full SNR graph makes it impossible to be an Aptina or Nikon sensor...
Mescalamba

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »

<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D3200">this page on the website</a></div>I think you are wrong about the identity of this sensor, it is not the Sony NEX sensor - at least it does not look like an Exmor and it is a different size. I think when you come to test it, it will show more in common with the D4 sensor than the Sony ones.

It is Sony. All current Nikon cameras have sensor made by Sony. In case of D3200 its designed and made by Sony. Probably left-overs from A65. D4 is designed by Nikon, made by Sony. Nikon actually can design sensors and they are pretty good in that (D700, D3, D3s are their designs). Sony just gives them manufacturing capacities.

Only exception so far is Nikon 1 series.

There is quite a lot of CMOS manufacturers but no one except Sony is able to get this results. They lack both know-how and funding for that.
You can check for example Samsung 20 mpix APS-C sensor. While its decent, its nowhere close to Sony. And we are talking about Samsung which is incredibly huge company. But their "know-how" simply isnt there yet.
bobn2

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

I am also trying to figure that out, therefore my question: What do you mean with "it does not look like an Exmor"? And also, in what respect will it have something in common with the D4 sensor? I can't make much sense out of this, since the D3200 and the D4 sensors are about as far apart (spec-wise) as I can imagine (24MP on DX format vs. 16MP on FX format)
If you look at images of the two sensors they look very different:
D3200 sensor: http://www.btobey.com/nikon/images/d3200-sensor.jpg
Sony 24MP Exmor: http://www.sonydigitalimaging.com/images/a65_section1_09_exmor.png
The Sony looks like all the Exmors ever have, and the Nikon is different.
The Sony looks like it does, like no other sensor, because of teh column ADC arrangement. This Nikon does not have it.
What I would imagine it has in common with the D4 is a similar on-chip ADC (not column based) and a similar inner pixel design, just as the D3100 had a similar inner pixel design to the D3s.
bobn2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »

<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D3200">this page on the website</a></div>I think you are wrong about the identity of this sensor, it is not the Sony NEX sensor - at least it does not look like an Exmor and it is a different size. I think when you come to test it, it will show more in common with the D4 sensor than the Sony ones.

It is Sony. All current Nikon cameras have sensor made by Sony. In case of D3200 its designed and made by Sony.  Probably left-overs from A65.

D4 is designed by Nikon, made by Sony. Nikon actually can design sensors and they are pretty good in that (D700, D3, D3s are their designs). Sony just gives them manufacturing capacities.

Only exception so far is Nikon 1 series.

There is quite a lot of CMOS manufacturers but no one except Sony is able to get this results. They lack both know-how and funding for that.
You can check for example Samsung 20 mpix APS-C sensor. While its decent, its nowhere close to Sony. And we are talking about Samsung which is incredibly huge company. But their "know-how" simply isnt there yet.
Obviously you are wrong, since Chipworks has now confirmed my view that this is a Nikon design, just like the D3100.
It would be very strange for Sony to be taking in foundry work when they are already out shopping a lot of their production to external foundries
Your mistake is thinking that the expertise that makes a sensor special is in the fabrication. It is in the design. Once a chip is designed, any number of foundries can fab it. Sony's sensors are good because they have a good design team. Now it appears that Nikon has one equally as good.
bobn2

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

Problem is, although the physical looks doesn't make it look like a Sony sensor, but the dynamic range and full SNR graph makes it impossible to be an Aptina or Nikon sensor...
They do not make it impossible to be a Nikon sensor at all, and since Chipworks tore it down, we know it is a Nikon sensor.
All it means is that Nikon can do this too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: