Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Same as Canon 5D Mark III  (Read 3179 times)
draksa

« on: June 06, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
A $700 dollar camera scores the same as a $3500 camera.  Canon is really falling behind in sensor technology. 
Mescalamba

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »

<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D3200">this page on the website</a></div>A $700 dollar camera scores the same as a $3500 camera.  Canon is really falling behind in sensor technology. 

Its just score, it doesnt mean that much. In real life, its not terribly usable camera. Very small = bad handling with most lenses. Miniature OVF compared to 100% big OVF in 5DMK3. 4 FPS and shallow buffer. AF will be "so-so" as is usual in begginers camera.

SNR at base ISO is 36.5 dB. Which means its noisy even at base ISO (common trait to these sensors). Even CFA, which was decent in Nikon cameras is crappy (cause its optimised for high ISO.. well in this case to make base ISO usable Cheesy). AA filter from sample photos doesnt seem exactly great.

Those last things are same for 5DMK3 too. Low quality CFA and AA filters. Or rather say, specificaly chosen both for high ISO performance and causing camera to be near color blind.

So overall. This thing is usable as camera, but I wouldnt like it even for free. Canon offerings in starter/begginer segment is similary crappy tho. But this thing is no threat to 5DMK3. Cheesy

If there is some threat to 5DMK3, then its D800. But truth is that in reality D800 and 5DMK3 are quite different cameras for different customers. Both can do same things, but each of them is more suitable for different scenarios.

I agree that Canon current generation of sensors is falling behind. But truth is, that there are now "new" sensors. Everything is just re-hash of old technology. I think Canon is simply trying to milk customers as much as possible. Nikon cant do that, cause 1) they are Sony dependant 2) they dont want to loose customers.

Im not worrying about Canon not being able to create some next-gen sensor. They are, they just dont want to release it before they squeeze maximum from last generation.
flash01

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »

Its just score, it doesnt mean that much. In real life, its not terribly usable camera. Very small = bad handling with most lenses. Miniature OVF compared to 100% big OVF in 5DMK3. 4 FPS and shallow buffer. AF will be "so-so" as is usual in begginers camera.

Im not worrying about Canon not being able to create some next-gen sensor. They are, they just dont want to release it before they squeeze maximum from last generation.

The first part you are correct.  A number is a number.  It indicates how far ahead Sony / Nikon are ahead of Canon in that regard.   The AF, metering, handling, etc in the MK III absolutely crushes the D3200. By FAR the 5D MKIII is the better camera. 

You must be smoking some good stuff on the second part though.  Canon is simply not able or doesn't want to inject money into its development team to produce a comparable sensor to the Sony sensor tech.  This is a huge disadvantage to them and they must be feeling the heat.  This type of technology takes YEARS to develop and you cannot let a competitor run away with the technology thinking you'll just milk some customer for a while and catch up later.   Ask RIM, the maker of Blackberry, how that all turned out for them...
Mescalamba

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »

The first part you are correct.  A number is a number.  It indicates how far ahead Sony / Nikon are ahead of Canon in that regard.   The AF, metering, handling, etc in the MK III absolutely crushes the D3200. By FAR the 5D MKIII is the better camera. 

You must be smoking some good stuff on the second part though.  Canon is simply not able or doesn't want to inject money into its development team to produce a comparable sensor to the Sony sensor tech.  This is a huge disadvantage to them and they must be feeling the heat.  This type of technology takes YEARS to develop and you cannot let a competitor run away with the technology thinking you'll just milk some customer for a while and catch up later.   Ask RIM, the maker of Blackberry, how that all turned out for them...

Not really. I know what Canon is capable to develop. I agree that their marketing "milk cusotmers and let competitor do whatever they want" is really stupid in long term. Im not sure how it will end for them. Seeing on DPreview as most commenters are super-happy about near useless 650D. Cheesy Well I guess it works for Canon. I will stick to camera that can give me best image.. Which kinda exclude all today Canons. :/
gll

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »

Your figure of 36 db is different from DXOmark 42 db at 71 (100) ISO. I took the D3200 out to the full sun shooting at 1/4000, ISO 100 having to go to F2.5
and the results were awesome. Yes, the real big things like 5D Mark III give you every widget for every occasion, but what if your desire was to shoot in full manual in RAW? What if your lenses were not perfect for full frame? And if you wanted to do video in manual and didn't much care about AF? You'd find D3200 for $699 (that includes a useless kit lens) absolutely unbelievable.
wmac

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »

Nothing new.

just like AMD and Intel. Intel got far ahead of AMD. Even though AMD gives out good products now and then they just cannot compete.
koleh77

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »

canon is loosing the game,
AMD for the same money gives better chip than Intell!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
http://photo-wed.blogspot.com/

wedding & portrait photographer
http://photo-wed.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: