Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it taking so long to get a test done on the OM-D / E-M5?  (Read 8558 times)
Christos

« on: June 24, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »

They are available! Get one and test it please. Many people are waiting for your test results!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:11:45 AM by Christos » Logged
cocute

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:06 PM »

E-M5 is vetoed in this site.
Nothing to be done.
randybenter

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »

Please test the Oly E-M5 and Canon 650D.  THANKS!
lprandell

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

It is obvious at this point that DXOlabs has no intention of testing this camera. Presumably they have a grudge against Olympus, and since the sensor in this camera is far better than similar sensors of the competition, they don't want to give them the satisfaction. DXOLabs sucks.
bradleyg5

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

The Olympus OM-D sensor has already been reviewed http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Panasonic/Lumix-DMC-G3 The OM-D sensor is effectively the same sensor(Panasonic and Olympus share technology) that was used in the Panasonic G3. The JPEG engine on the OM-D is better but for raw image quality I bet it comes within a point or two of the G3.

It's going to be bad, they probably are not keen too have the nerd rage unload on them.
Tegularius

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »

Hello Bradley.

Your statement about the EM-5 having the same sensor as the G3 is simply not true. There has been some pretty good reviews of the Olympus camera and its sensor, including some using the DXOLab software. You can browse through some of the other threads in this forum to get a link to one of them (sorry I can locate it myself for you at this moment). In it, the OM-D scores signicantly better in RAW than the Pana and the NEX-7. We are talking RAW mode here, remember. As someone that has the OM-D and the Sony A77 and A55, I can tell you that the OM-D sensor is as good as any of the other two at native ISO, and at higher ISO is much, much better. Now check the results for the Panasonic against the Sony's and see how poorly it compares to them.

I have no idea why DXOLabs is procrastinating or if it has any intention of ever publishing the testing for this camera at all. Who knows what is going on behinnd the scenes, but it certainly isn't normal. However one thing is certain; any database comparasion that does not include this prominent new camera is badly incomplete. DXOLabs should think of its reputation and prestige.

I think the least they could do is to tell us openly whether they will or will not review this camera and in the first case give us some approximate date. At least it would show a minimum of consideration to its readers. But it seems that this is asking too much from them.

Regards
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:14:58 PM by Tegularius » Logged
Tegularius

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »

Ok, I've found it. So here is the link:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent

"We shoot a specially designed chart in carefully controlled conditions and the resulting images are analysed using DXO Analyzer software to generate the data to produce the graphs below."

You can see that the OM-D outperforms in RAW both the NEX-7 and the new Fuji X Pro 1.

Regards
cocute

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

Wink
President Hiroyuki Sasa says E-M5 sensor is from Sony!
http://www.43rumors.com/president-hiroyuki-sasa-says-e-m5-sensor-is-from-sony/

Sorry for detractors of E-M5
hopeful21

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

Apparently it is official: The sensor IS a Sony. They have an excellent reputation for sensors with superb DR & noise characteristics. Sadly, the Panasonic detectors are not in the same league (& yes I do have a GF1!)

I find it very frustrating not to have the usual wonderful & authoritative DxO results in order to see just how good M43 can get,

as I am wondering whether to get an OM5 or stick with the DSLR?

Come on DxO - please get a move on!
Tegularius

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »

Hello Hopeful21!

Whether DXOLabs ever tests this camera (or do it before it ceases to be relevant in the market) or not, you have plenty of thorough reviews out there to guide you. The sensor, important as it is, is only a part of the equation. And we already know it is outstanding (those of us who own this little camera have no doubt of its capabilities).

But the camera offers much more (take a look at DP Review, for instance). It has a very fast autofocus, can shoot 9 fps, has an extraordinary stabilization system. The viewfinder, while having less resolution than that of the NEX-7 or A77, is far more "natural" in actual use and with an excellent response time. There are tons of little extras that often don't get mentioned in reviews, but that we the users greatly appreciate. For instance, the fact that it stabilizes the image in the viewfinder, not only at shooting time (great for composing and focussing in manual when using a tele). Lots of little things like this which makes it the best CSC camera in the market today.

So what DXOLabs can tell us that we don’t already know is where in the sensor rating scale, this camera falls in. All else at this point is stale news. IQ is just superb. I use it mostly for landscape photography and I am very pleased with it. People who use it for street shooting or even photojournalism say wonders of it. So if DXOLabs ever tests this camera (and I’m beginning to think it won’t because soon it will become meaningless anyway) I’ll be willing to bet it will be somewhere in the range of the NEX-7 or even a little higher up in the scale. The fact that Sony has been officially declared the manufacturer of the sensor comes to no surprise to me and makes a lot of sense.

My suggestion is that you forget about DXOLabs and test the camera on your own, to see if it lives to your expectations. You ought to do it regardless, anyway.

Cheers.
federanghino

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »

Now that you have the Oly OM-D EM5 released in last version DxO Optics Pro, please, we can have the results?
hoodlum

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »

Let the speculating begin.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42013479

"For the OM-D EM-5 review, the lab is working on it but noticed some surprising measures and is analyzing the root cause."
cocute

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »

I hope with Nikon and Canon cameras also analyzing the root cause when the results are too good in test Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: