Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nikon d3200 image quality  (Read 2794 times)
martinmartinov

« on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

This a comment for this page on the website
I was wondering how could an entry level camera such as the 3200 receive the same score as a full frame (MkIII). Analyzing Your methodology of scoring, I came to the conclusion that You favor only the highest scores per criteria. For example, the 3200 has DR of 13EV and the MkIII has 12 or so. But, this happens on ISO 100. If You see the chart, pushing the sensitivity further, the results are becoming increasingly more favorable to the MkIII (they're almost equal the D800). I suggest that You integrate the results using the chart integer or obtain the average DR scores per whole ISO range and come with a score reflecting the whole ISO range. Also, if the highest ISO 100 result is of greater importance, give bonus points for that, but don't take it as an isolated result cutting off all the rest DR curve to ISO 12800. If cameras with different high ISO maximum sensitivities are compared, I think that, the curve up to ISO 6400 should be taken (all the newer cameras have ISO 6400). As for the D3200 compared to e.g. 5100, I notice that it is significantly more color blind in high ISO settings than the D5100, something that is not shown in the charts (very odd). Also, check out the red channel, it sucks completely. It is even degraded in basic ISO100 in RAW... As a conclusion, be objective and use the integrated results, not the maximum.
randybenter

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »

That's why it is great that DXO publishes the charts. You can look at them and get the information you need. Some might only shoot at base ISO, others might be more interested high ISO performance. Don't pay much attention to the numerical score.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: