Forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delays Getting Worse!!! Is DXO in Trouble???  (Read 15106 times)
randybenter

« on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:23 AM »

DXO camera testing has slowed to a snail's pace. I know many users have commented about the OM-D E-M5 delay, but the truth is DXO is just not keeping up with new camera releases. There are around 25 cameras released this year that are still in queue waiting to be tested by DXO.
Tegularius

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

I think you are right. This isn't just a problem with the Olympus OM-D, it is generalized.

It seems DXO is having problems of some kind. They won't admit it to save face, and perhaps because of the fear that this may affect the reputation of their software somehow.

But I think the least they could do is come up with some kind of "neutral" explanation. They can tell us, for instance, that they are going to postpone for some months the testing of new products. They don't need to admit anyting or explain why, but it would be a way to stop people from harping at this issue. Messages and threads like this won't go away until the face the music  and tell us something.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:26:14 PM by Tegularius » Logged
cocute

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

I'm sure new Canon EOS-M test in few days,
canikon cameras not delayed never

Fuji Xpro1 6 months ago
E-M5 5 months ago

to be fair with the other cameras Canon EOS-M should be tested in January 2013
randybenter

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »

They haven't tested the Canon 650D yet either. It has been in stores for a while. It's a shame. DXO had really become the standard measure of camera sensors, but I guess now they're insignificant.
What good is data for one camera, if I can't see data for competing cameras?
Who wants data for cameras that were released a year ago?
Why doesn't someone at DXO reply to any of these forum requests?
I agree with another post that said it would be much better for DXO to state their intentions to stop testing, so we would know what to expect. Their silence is compounding the problem.
AaronMC

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:39:42 AM »

It could just be that DxO Labs is busy behind the scenes with stuff. I'd imagine that DxO Mark doesn't earn them any money, so they have to prioritize things.

If you've got pants on, you're doing alright.
My Self

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »

I did my part to support them: I bought DxO Optics Pro
I was kind of upset when I found out that to support raw files I will need to upgrade to Elite version.
More money? Not until I see them add the lens test with D800 body and release the modules.
It's been months... they've tested the D4, why not the D800, the hottest camera on the market right now? That's not acceptable.
AaronMC

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

My Self,

Do you mean the DxO module or the tests? Because they did the tests on the D800 and D800E.

If you've got pants on, you're doing alright.
kallitypes

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

Delay is one thing, but outright ignoring important cameras (for a long time now) makes visiting the DXOMark site painful. I used to check in roughly once a week to see what DXOMark's take on some new camera release was. Now I rarely bother. They've never reviewed any of the fine Ricoh cameras, and now the OM-D. And the XPro-1? Likely never would be my guess. 
darrask

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:33:08 AM »

Yes, it is really a shame.

To that date, the Olympus EM5 and Samsung NX20 are both supported in their DxO software. They have surely already done all the test batteries to be able to process the raw files and add that support in the software, so why don't they publish the test results online?

I am really curious about the Olympus for instance, because it was said to perform just like the G3's sensor and now it comes out that it is Sony?

And what about the Samsung, it gets many good reviews but what about its true sensor potential?

DxO, you have already become an important benchmark and reference site, you cannot afford to suddenly downgrade your publication schedule, leaving many cameras in the dust.
cocute

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

Very good the new excuse for put E-M5 test at same time that other new models.
Waiting September
Tegularius

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:15:54 AM »

Well, they finally have admitted that they haven't been able to keep up with user's expectations.

I have my doubts that come Septemeber we'll see any new testing results. They are probably buying themselves some time with this announcement. Which incidentally, looks just like one of those "CLOSED" signs one sees in stores.

CLOSED or perhaps "GONE FISHING"... So maybe until September (though I'll even settle for December). I would have prefered an honest, open announcement. Maybe saying that right now they just can't deliver the goods and some apologies for having kept us in the dark for such a long time.

Anyway, enjoy your August vacation, DXO. Hope you are not completely dead yet.

See you whenever and best of lucks to you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:20:22 AM by Tegularius » Logged
XCLN

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

My take is they are not willing to put more resources to match the larger and larger number of new cameras and lenses being released. Not to mention the cellphone cameras like the Nokia 808. Dpreview can, has the resources and needs to because of their Amazon affiliation.
This evaluation side of DXOmark is just a side business for them, maybe part of marketing. They march to their own drum. Good for them*.
Or maybe they've decided they don't want or need to match this deluge of novelties - and have figured it makes more sense to concentrate on what they feel is interesting while keeping enough time to savor the great new photography** coming out while enjoy a fine bordeaux.

(*)I remember that in the early days, now forgotten, DxO was poo pooed by many techies, even DPreview (these were removed later hah ha). DPreview was also in its early days home of serious photographers btw - nowadays its audience level has gone way down.
(**) the amount of interesting new photography also is overwhelmed by the influx of new camera owners, human and otherwise, and deluge of digital images being taken and recorded all around the world, and in outer space too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:57:18 AM by XCLN » Logged
speculatrix

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »

I willing to pay DXOMark to access a report on a camera I was considering buying*

This site reminds me of hdtvtest.co.uk which also provides valuable technical analysis, but on TVs, and doesn't manage to test more than a small representative sample

* the Panasonic G5 to see if its worth paying the new adopters' premium of £600 instead of getting a bargain remaindered price on a G3 which is £300 after cashback.
DXOMARK

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Keep-your-camera-shutters-clicking

Are we there yet ?

Hope we can compare more than 3 camera sensors at a time. Three at a time is not enough and wasting time.  Please allow us to compare up to 6 cameras at a time. 

YEAH ! ! !

Are we there yet ?
hoodlum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 05:24:01 AM »

No updates until after Photokina.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: