Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise D600 vs. 5D Mark III  (Read 8206 times)
DXOMichal

« on: September 19, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
I can not believe, that D600 has a better noise performance than 5D Mark III, as I saw the pictures on http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM. According this shots is the noise of D600 at 3200 ISO nearby  5D M III at ISO 12800. Could somebody explain it?  Thanks.
Emacs23

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »

I did a quick and dirty comparison with RAWs provided by imaging resource. No one can guarantee the lightning conditions were the same, but from these samples D600 seems to be better than D4 (which is better than 5d3): http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1148707/0#10965936
Piedmont

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »

Just make sure you compare RAW, it's the only way to compare the naked truth. 

Canon applies high noise reduction and sharpening to its JPEGS by default Nikon doesn't.  If you're comparing Jpegs at "Default camera settings" isn't apples-apples you either need to turn Canons noise reduction & sharpening low to match Nikons default setting, or turn Nikons high to match Canons default setting.  "Default Camera Settings" is not universal at all, but RAW is the naked truth.
DXOMichal

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »

Thanks, I discovered the exif data on the comparison. Nikon has NR off, by Canon no information about NR redoction.
Am-Expat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »

The major problem with the 5DIII is higher ISO has non-defeatable NR even on RAW used to simulate cleaner high ISO performance, which is does but at the expense of ruined detail and smearing. The D600 easily trumps it in cleanliness of files, making them a lot more flexible for creative post processing.
DXOMARK

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

The first camera they test is Nikon D600 !   DUH !

Whatever happened to Olympus OMD EM5 ?

Very strange.  Perhaps DXOMARKS is indeed having some spite with Olympus !

Huh Undecided
FotografnuntaIasi

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

The Canon seems to have lost the competition with Nikon according to sensor and processor technology. Good for Canon that at least Lenses are unbeatable. 
RJA4000

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »

The Canon seems to have lost the competition with Nikon according to sensor and processor technology. Good for Canon that at least Lenses are unbeatable.  
Hum...
the main advantage that the Sony Exmor sensor has is about dynamic range.
For High-ISO, we speak of 1/2 stop -according to DXOMark measurements- between the very best Nikon and the 5DIII, which is not really much relevant...
As you say, you may well have more differences in lenses performance.
1/2 stop is not much !

And, to be honest, for landscapes, we used to be able to have good results from less performing sensor with less dynamic range. HDR is one of the ways.

Of course, it doesn't mean more dynamic range is not useful (think of a wedding, where black and white are so important ;-) ).
But everything is relative. And, yes, I think lens quality is more relevant than the sensor differences we see nowadays.

I own an old 1DII and a Nex7 and, to be honest, high ISO noise is a problem for me for both. I need one or two more stops! And while I greatly appreciate the 24Mpixels and the greater dynamic range of the Sony, for some pictures, I still get better results from the 1DII with the same lens.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:39:53 AM by RJA4000 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: