Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any System Jumpers?  (Read 3425 times)
AaronMC

« on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »

Has Sony's recently explosion of innovation triggered anyone to abandon their current systems in favor of Sony?

I've left Canon for my SLR work, but that had more to do with Canon than anything else. And while I'm decently happy with my m4/3 gear for small, mirrorless work, the new NEX-6 is immensely tempting.

If anything, it's Sony's depressing lack of good lenses for the E-mount that keeps me away. They have one, two at best. Luckily, Sony has focus peaking, which makes old lenses unbelievably easy to use.

In fact, it's the focus peaking that tempts me more than anything else. I have a ton of old lenses that I like playing around with, but using them on my GF1 and GH2 is a pain.

If you've got pants on, you're doing alright.
MONICAHERRERO

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »

I need to know the spectral response or the transmission peaks
Olympus EP1, 500-d Canon and Nikon D5000.
ANY SUGESTION?Huh?
THANKS
monicaherrero@usal.es
Hakeem

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »

I am actually thinking to adopt a fullframe CaNikon small body, recently announced. Sony focus peaking is a definate plus and they are filling the gaps in lens collection too, and yes Sony NEX6 is awesome but it lacks touch focus and gives Wifi/gps. Its kit lens is useful too. For me supporting legacy lenses is not a big deal, if it is, I can see why it is tempting. I am with m43 for its fast AF in live view system and yes touch sensitive monitors are a bonus. And if I have to MF some legacy lens, MF Assist in m43 are still usable, maybe not as fun as focus peaking.

Sony is getting stronger, definitely but still not upto a level yet, where I will jump out of m43. FF probably is there, its not touch sensitive either but other benefits with reduction in price and weight are compelling!

If I have to switch system, it has has to be something big reason!

Hakeem - A Soft Coder
@ Flickr
Pany GH1, GF3, Oly Pen-EP1, XZ-1, Nikon D5100
Interested in Sony A580, Nikon J1
Waiting for Oly XZ-2, Pany GH3, Nikon D800/ Canon 5D-III
AaronMC

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »

Hakeem,

I completely agree. The NEX system has so much potential that its failings are infuriating. I have to admit, I use touch focus almost never. It seems like a feature that I would use, but for some reason, I never reach for it. And with my video work, focus peaking is something I would love.

But with my new investment into Sony's FF and APS-C SLR system, including NEX in the future would be easy.

I assume that you would be buying a D600? If you buy, make sure to buy the 14-24mm. I don't describe many lenses as masterpieces, but that is.

Monica,

Wow. Are you trying to do full-spectrum photography?

If you've got pants on, you're doing alright.
Hakeem

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

I assume that you would be buying a D600? If you buy, make sure to buy the 14-24mm. I don't describe many lenses as masterpieces, but that is.
Thanks very much Aaron! 14-24 been on my wish list for ages, definately top pick! best ultra wide; one can get .. the only trouble is to carry it around .. its massive!

I am tossing between Nikon D600 and Canon 6D. I am taking DXO Mark measurements with a grain of salt. Actually buying a camera is much more for me than scientific measurements in lab environment where it gets completely reverse in the field. Measurements doesn't show me the complete picture, it depends too much who is measuring and what he is trying to acheive. As every person has its own opinion.

Canon lenses specially the kit lens 24-105 L @f4 constant makes much more sense to me than nikon kit 24-85 with varrying max aperture. On DPReview I found Mark III as cleanest sensor at high ISO (select RAW and no noise reduction). Cleanest among all of them is Fuji X1-Pro. I personally like DR between 11 and 12, its quite adequate, if you getting blown out highlights on that range, you will also get them blown at 13+. In real world you wont see a single scene where clipping will occur only between 12-13, so when its harsh light it will destroy everything, saving 1EV range won't help at all. We should wait for a good light for landscape photos like pro does, and there 10EV is wide enough. So the term DR is hyped up. Multiple exposure HDR image is the answer for most of these situations and am also not big fan of HDR generally. I prefer punchy contrasty colors. So for me more versatile, lighter and slightly narrower @F4 Canon Lenses better suits travelling photographer needs than DR measurement on Nikon FF.

I am also considering Fuji X-E1. This photokina brought so many excellent products, its almost impossible to decide one camera on the basis of a single logic. 6D? D600? GH3? NEX6? LX7? G15? or X-E1 .. Cheesy

Wow. Are you trying to do full-spectrum photography?
No, I don't even completely understand this domain Smiley

Hakeem - A Soft Coder
@ Flickr
Pany GH1, GF3, Oly Pen-EP1, XZ-1, Nikon D5100
Interested in Sony A580, Nikon J1
Waiting for Oly XZ-2, Pany GH3, Nikon D800/ Canon 5D-III
Tord

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »

Hakeem,

I completely agree. The NEX system has so much potential that its failings are infuriating. I have to admit, I use touch focus almost never. It seems like a feature that I would use, but for some reason, I never reach for it. And with my video work, focus peaking is something I would love.

But with my new investment into Sony's FF and APS-C SLR system, including NEX in the future would be easy.

Hi all,

I have just turned a corner, after coming from Pentax DSLRs, and via Nex-5N (which is excellent with its non-OIS lenses, like the the Zeiss 1.6/34 or the Sigma 30).

I got into Nikons via the V1 (which I gave to the wife, who opted for the OM-D instead) to which I got a few normal Nikon lenses, new and very old, which naturally led to a APS-C Nikon, so I got myself a D3200, and yesterday, a D600.

I am still amazed, and not a little stunned. A very old Nikon 400/5.6 today proved to be very, very sharp, when I tried it on the D600 (much better than a similar Pentax K 400, of similar vintage, when used on a K-5).

Today my wife gave me a Sanyang 1.4/24 for my D600, what a lens!

Sigfod

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »

I have jumped from Nikon DX to Sony NEX and have no regrets. Amazed at the ease of use, portability and picture quality of the NEX. Currently shooting the 50mm 1.8, the 16mm 2.8 pancake, and the Sigma 30mm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: