Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to Canon?  (Read 3292 times)
hoodlum

« on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »

This a comment for this page on the website
This is a long time in the making but how is it that the new D650 scores the exact same as the 8 year old 20D.  They both get beat by the smaller sensor E-M5.  I am surprised Canon owners are not complaining louder about this.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/813%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/793%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus/(appareil3)/281%7C0/(brand3)/Canon

Someone else mentioned the lack of APS-C lenses.  This has been an issue for both Canon and Nikon.  Basically they have both focused on zooms for APS-C and forced owners to rely on FF primes to cover their needs.  Unfortunately the FF focal length and aperture don't always match what you need with 1.5 crop.

m43 seems to understand the need for native lenses as they have a much better selection of primes.  It will be interesting to see how much support for new APS-C lenses will exist going forward.  APS-C is getting pushed from both mirrorless at one end and FF at the other end.  Will Canon and Nikon come out with new APS-C lenses or will we just see refreshes with better focusing for liveview.
My Self

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

If you go to Camera Sensor Ratings
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings
and filter by Nikon, you'll see an upward trend: newer cameras are clearly better than older cameras.

If you filter by Canon, you see a basically horizontal trend. No significant improvement (as a whole) over the years.
Don't know what's going on in Canon... maybe they lost their key engineers or are just resting on their past laurels?
AaronMC

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »

And us Canon owners have been making a lot of noise. The DPReview forums are filled with people complaining.

Of course they are immediately followed by self-important pricks talking about how "the camera doesn't matter" because they think that it makes them sound wise and artistic.

I, for example, after complaining on my blog for nearly two years have finally ditched all of my Canon gear. I have kept only my old 20D and the 60mm EF-S macro because they were my first SLR combo. Sentimental reasons and all.

If you've got pants on, you're doing alright.
hoodlum

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

When it comes to RAW the 20D was ahead of its time.  Unfortunately, Canon RAW quality is still the same today.  Zero improvement over 8 years.
DXOMARK

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »

Reason is very simple.

Canon want to spend the absolute minimum in R&D and wants to play it very safe when coming out with new cameras.
She wants to do it safe, slow and last.

Their mirror-less camera is a BIG joke ! Embarrassed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: