Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Nex-5n vs Canon 7d (dxomark doesn't make sense)  (Read 3271 times)
hmcindie

« on: November 12, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »

So I have both of these cams and I don't think that DXOMark makes much sense when comparing them. I regularly shoot with both and noticed that I tend to get better photos with the 7d. So I did a very quick test while shooting with both.

Processed with Lightroom. Did some exposure compensation (0, +2 and +5 stops) to take a look at the shadow quality.

http://hmcindie.pp.fi/5n_7d_test/

Don't worry about the sharpness, was mostly looking at the dynamic range.

5n is shown to be better in lowlight and having more dynamic range than the 7d. I feel that this is not true. When doing 6400 ISO they are almost exactly alike. The 5n has odd horizontal stripes with light sources (it also handles highlights a bit worse). The 7d is a bit worse in ISO 100 as the extreme shadows has vertical sensor noise. But the usable material is about the same.

Now why is the score so different with DXOMark? Every other review place places the 5n sensor as about the same quality as the 7d. This confirms my own experiences (though I do prefer the 7d slightly).

Still the 5n gets a considerably better lowlight score? The sensor noise on the 7d is slightly better than the 5n especially when doing lowlight stuff. Less chroma noise. Other places like dpreview confirm this. DXOMark doesn't make sense.

5n also has a tendency to overbloom. Edges of contrast tend to bloom to the sides more than using the same lens on the 7d. Easy to spot when doing night time long exposure photos.

It just kinda bothers me as everyone is always claiming that the Sony sensors are MUCH better in lowlight than the old Canon 7d stuff. Which they aren't. The 5n has the same sensor as the nex-6. Jpeg quality is better but I shoot everything raw.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:17:26 PM by hmcindie » Logged
randybenter

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

If you are comparing sensor noise, then why are you using color noise reduction in Lightroom? You should try it with all NR settings turned off, then you will see the 7D has slightly more noise and banding.

The banding is terrible in your 7D ISO100 +5 shot. That is one of the big reasons the Canon sensors score so poorly.

fishnose

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »

If you are comparing sensor noise, then why are you using color noise reduction in Lightroom? You should try it with all NR settings turned off, then you will see the 7D has slightly more noise and banding.

The banding is terrible in your 7D ISO100 +5 shot. That is one of the big reasons the Canon sensors score so poorly.

+1
Color noise is exactly the reason I've always avoided the sensor used in the 7D (and many other Canon models).
EPurpl3

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

I am not a expert but many of Nikons sensors were made by Sony, even if they had a Nikon design and Nikon sensors are much better than Canons sensors. Sony has the experience of making sensors so i think that Sony sensors are better than Canons.
hmcindie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »

Sure, but still. The 5n doesn't have any more shadow detail even in ISO 100 when the 7d's sensor noise is apparent. Plus when going up the ISO scale (6400) the 5n starts to lose. I CANNOT FATHOM how it scores better especially in lowlight. I have both these cams and regularly have more keepers with the 7d and better shots in lowlight.
buttons

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »

All of my friends shoot canons of various models (5d II, III, 6d, or 7d)  I think the shots that come out of the canons are superb, with that said i havent taken the time or thought of a way to compare apples to apples.  I have a pentax K01 + 40mm XS F2.8 lens and they have $2000 70-200mm F2.8 II L lens 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: