MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: TEST IT  (Read 2599 times)

Offline BachmannPhotography

TEST IT
« on: December 31, 2014, 01:39:28 pm »
This a comment for this page on the website
IF Dxomark have no Nikon SIGMA 50mm f/1.4 Art, take my one with miy D810 an Test it, so the People knows what is what.....

Offline rsgw40

Re: TEST IT
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 05:27:34 pm »
I'll support you firmly...

Offline skelley

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:51:12 am »
Thank you and yes, I also support asking that the Nikon lens be tested.  :-X

Offline InFocus2014

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »
I was shooting two systems, where I had the Sigma 35 ART for my D810 and the Sony/Zeiss FE 35mm f1.4 for my A7R.  I converted to all Sony, so I had Sigma convert the Nikon mount to Alpha mount to use on my A99's.

I recently did a round of testing of both lenses on the A7R (using the LA-EA4 adapter for the Sigma) with flash and a tripod.  I realize that DXO rates the Sony lens at 23P and the Sigma at 28P (or 29?), but in looking at 200% crops on a 5K Retina monitor, I can tell you that at f1.4, one would be hard-pressed to identify a significant difference in sharpness. The Sigma is just a hair sharper.  Looking at anything less than 100% crop does not reveal any measurable difference.  Any difference is likely due to a bit more contrast, wide-open, on the Sigma.  Both lenses are amazing.

The Sigma has slightly less CA's, but more vignetting.  The depth a field is noticeably narrower with the Sony lens.  This actually makes it more difficult to focus on near objects when wide-open.  Maybe this is what people are talking about when they talk about "Zeiss 3D".

The major difference is the bokeh.  The Sony is a cream-machine, while the Sigma is a bit rougher with slightly nervous bokeh.

If I were to do it over, again, and as much as I love the Sony bokeh, I would probably just buy the Sigma, as it is a lot more cost effective and delivers terrific results. Also, the new A7RII will allow the use of the LA-EA3 (no mirror), so the native camera focusing system can be used with adapted lenses.