MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: Sony ILC Cameras  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Digitalz

Sony ILC Cameras
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:43 pm »
This a comment for this page on the website
I have a question that has been bothering me for ages about Sony and their mirrorless ILC cams. Why are all the lenses on these cameras so low on sharpness? It can't be blamed on all the lens makers including Zeiss who makes some of the finest lenses out there. Is it because of the flange distance on ILC's is much closer then a mirrored DSLR? Is this causing lenses to lose their ability to come close to utilizing more of the sensors pixels?

I am a canon user but am seriously considering changing over to the Sony A7R or A7. I absolutely love the new sensors they are making and think the A7 line and the A5000/6000 are incredible cameras. After reading about the best lenses for the Sony A6000 the highest sharpness on any lens is the Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN A Sony E at 16 mpix. Thats only 16 of the 24 Mpix sensor. Lenses should be able to utilize more of the pixels (especially the prime) and the rest of the lenses just utilize less and less.  Now if you look at the Sony FE 70-200 F4OSS on the A6000 the sharpness is 11mpix on the 24mpix sensor and that same lens on the A7R is 23 Mpix of 36 mpix. This is very low especially especially since this is only 2/3rds of the A7R camera.

Maybe DXO can explain why these ILC's by sony are suffering on sharpness? Atleast staying with Canon utilizes more sharpness, but bringing those lenses over with converters could be an issue all on its own as changing the flange distance to the sensor can cause issues on a camera.

Cheers

Offline ThatMattRogers

Re: Sony ILC Cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:31:16 pm »
I'm no lens designer but I suspect that it's more to do with the APS-C sized sensor than the flange distance. Which makes sense if you think about it, it just gets easier to draw a greater number of individual lines if you have a bigger canvas.

If you compare the APS-C lenses for Sony's e-mount and Cannon's EF-S line you'll notice that they're very close in performance.

have a look at this list of best performing APS-c 35mm primes for the 7d for example

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-lenses-for-the-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-Part-2-Prime-Lenses/Best-35mm-prime-Sigma-35mm-F1.4-DG-HSM-A-Canon

even the revered Otus 85mm 1.4 is only 15mp when cropped in to accommodate an APS-C sensor. So I wouldn't be too hard on Sony's offerings.
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-lenses-for-the-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-Part-2-Prime-Lenses/Best-short-telephoto-prime-Carl-Zeiss-APO-Planar-T-Otus-85mm-f1.4
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:37:02 pm by ThatMattRogers »