MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: Sony - Why no touch screen?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Pro Shooting Digital sinc

Sony - Why no touch screen?
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:38:12 pm »
This a comment for this page on the website
I would buy into the Sony system if they had touch screens. Why on earth no touch screen?

My old Canon 70d with dual pixel and touch screen which was able to pull very cinematic focus changes. 1080 max video res though. Another wonderful feature for stills: touch a point of interest and the very moment the camera attains focus it captures the image.

Then I bought a Samsung NX1 for mostly shooting 4K to a PIX-E5H also capable of cinematic focus by touch. Again this camera allows you to touch a point of interest and capture the still image the moment it achieves focus.

Now I'm shooting the Panasonic AG-DVX200 and a PIX-E5H still very happily taking advantage of cinematic touch to focus capabilities.

I sounds as if the a7R II would be awesome in terms of face tracking etc but it is HOBBLED by not having a touch screen. How do you change faces (or point of interest) for focus, in mid-take, while shooting video?  Abandon the camera's intelligence and focus manually. Wait, what?

After shooting video with several cameras capable of cinematic focus pulls by simply touching the screen I will NEVER go back to another focus method for run-n-gun documentary type shooting. The touch to focus during video significantly increases the percentage of good takes while allowing me more time to think about composition and point of view and less time thinking about focus.

Before anyone comments about how they prefer physical buttons (the non-smartphone users among us I assume), please realize that all three of these cameras offer full normal functionality through button pressing, and they also allow important (imho) additional features which can't be accomplished with button pushing.

Hey Sony... anybody listening?  Why no touchscreen?