MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: Pixel and Outdated/Incomplete Testing​ Methods  (Read 99 times)

Offline mrtank

Pixel and Outdated/Incomplete Testing​ Methods
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:55:32 am »
<div id="linkdxomark">This a comment for <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixel-smartphone-camera-review-At-the-top">this page on the website</a></div>

If you are only taking photos outdoors in decent light, then this is the phone for you.

I love Google. I don't just love them, I really love them.

That's why what I am about to say is so saddening.

I can't help it. I am so dissatisfied by this device that it's pushed me to write this so that others wouldn't make the same mistake I did.

To put it nicely, the camera on this phone sucks.

Inside my house (which has regular lighting), I was unable to use the Zoom​ function and take a single crisp photo. Close-up, in the middle, far away, a little Zoom​, a medium Zoom, etc. All of the photos were horrible. With the HDR Off, HDR Auto or HDR On. No difference. Flash On, Flash Off or Auto Flash. Same thing.

I then thought I could deal with this phone if I could at least get some crisp up-close shots indoors..... I was wrong.

Again, the Zoom​ function would not work. Not even using the smallest amount of Zoom. HDR functions worked best when Off and with the Auto Flash or Flash On. But still, it was average/low-average at best. Did I mention I could not use the Zoom functions?

I then decided to try and take some regular photos of my walls (with photos on them) from about 6 feet. With regular lighting, it was decent, but my $250 Nexus 5x still outperformed the quality. With a spotlight on the wall, it took great photos. Using HDR in any mode really helped with taking photos hanging on my wall at 6 feet with a spotlight.

The Autofocus and Manual Focusing of objects​ more than 6 feet away, sucked.

The Autofocus and Manual Focusing of objects​ close-up, sucked.

Macro. I don't want to talk about it. All I'll say about the Pixel's Macro is that it was the biggest disappointment of all.

$1000 for a phone without a usable camera.

The best camera I've ever had in a smartphone is still the Samsung Note 3's camera. The Nexus 5x's camera is better than this one.

If Landscapes in Perfect Weather, VR, Animated GIFs and taking Burst Shots are your thing, then you are perfect for this phone.

For anyone else, don't waste your time. I truly hate this phone.

I trust that the dxomark Review was done with the best intentions. But I would suggest adding some other tests because I based a little of my buying decision off of this review. I read many others. Some counted even more towards my decision. But just the fact that I didn't spend 3 more months reviewing this device before buying it has made me question everything about reviews no matter where they're from. So what I'm trying to say is: add some more tests to your overall process. Please.

Note: this is my 3rd Pixel (the other 2 I thought had bad camera's...) and I've spent over 10 hours with Google Customer Support troubleshooting this device. I am also an Android developer and have been developing for Android devices for 7 years.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:11:45 am by mrtank »