MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: A6000 vs NEX7 Sharpness Issue  (Read 2090 times)

Offline zeratulmrye

A6000 vs NEX7 Sharpness Issue
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:28 am »
The test result from Optyczne (a review website from Poland) shows that Sony A6000 has a much weaker AA filter compared to NEX-7. Maybe it doesn't have an AA filter at all.

Link: http://www.optyczne.pl/273.1-Test_aparatu-Sony_A6000_Wst%C4%99p.html

(it's not in English but google translate is really an amazing tool!)

Also, the AA filter on NEX-7 shows significant astigmatism (which is also reported by several other websites like Photozone) which clearly affects lens sharpness.

According to these reports it is reasonable to think that the E-mount lenses should get better sharpness results on A6000 compared to NEX-7, which is not the case on DXOMARK. On DXOMARK, E-mount lenses usually have higher DXO score on A6000 due to its better SNR, but the sharpness is almost the same as NEX-7, which makes me wondering if DXOMARK really test these lenses on A6000 or just copy the results from NEX-7 and calculate the DXO score based on each camera's SNR.

I understand that there is a lot of work to do to test so much lenses on a new body so I wouldn't blame if DXO really just copy the sharpness from one camera to another. But it would be good to know if that's the case to make better purchase decisions.

Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,
ZM

Offline Bilbo

Re: A6000 vs NEX7 Sharpness Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:33:41 pm »
>The test result from Optyczne (a review website from Poland) shows that Sony A6000 has a much weaker AA filter compared to NEX-7.

I cannot confirm it using the link provided.

Here is the article about moire which NEX-7 produces: http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:nex-7-moire-and-other-tradeoffs-and-how-to-counteract&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

Judging by the samples which I can find I cannot say that the weaker (even if it is weaker) AA filter matters more than resolution drop.

Offline zeratulmrye

Offline Bilbo

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »
To be fair I cannot say that this difference is a property of a common AA filter (which introduces the blur with radius around 1px and excludes the moire).

See this post: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/38930-nex-7-has-aa-filter.html . I found the blur of image edges mentioned in multiple places, it does not look like a regular AA filter, and the image looks mostly unaffected, that is why NEX-7 scores equally high as A6000.

For comparison of AA filters one should take the center of the image.

Offline Nrador007

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:04:50 am »
NEX 7 I like this.

Offline stedwsyy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »
Everything is made with a million things.