MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: a lot of testing errors  (Read 980 times)

Offline havoc315

a lot of testing errors
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:56 pm »
This a comment for this page on the website
I'm noticing what appear to be a number of testing errors on some lenses.
For example, the Minolta 50/14 and the Sony 50/1.4 are the SAME LENS.  When tested on the A99, they get nearly identical results, as one would expect.  But somehow, when tested on the A77ii, the Minolta gets 22mp of sharpness and the Sony gets 11mp.  This is simply physically impossible.  They are the same lens, they got the same results on the A99.

There are other examples where the numbers simply look inflated.  The Sony 35/1.4 is a horrible lens, unfortunately.  Yet its testing sharper than the Sigma ART?  I don't believe it.  When tested on the A99, the Sony 35 gets only 11mp of sharpness and the Sigma gets 17mp.  But somehow, magically, switch to the A77ii, and the Sigma goes down from 17mp to 15mp, and the Sony goes up to amazingly from 11mp to 19mp.

Unless the A77ii has some magical ability to increase resolution, but only of select lenses, these numbers simply do not make any sense. 

Offline sflorio

Re: a lot of testing errors
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
I found a similar discrepancy with the DxO numbers for the Sigma 17-50 on this camera. Their sharpness measurements for this lens on the Nikon d7100 were much better than those on the Sony a77ii. But they're both 24 Mp cameras, and it's the same lens on both. I happen to own both of those cameras, and have a Sigma 17-50 for each of them, and I see no difference in sharpness between them, further calling into question DxO's accuracy. I now view the ratings on this site with a lot of skepticism.