MOST RELEVANT RESULT(S) FOR :

Forum Twitter Facebook Google + RSS

Author Topic: Jumping in late, but what was DXO smoking?  (Read 53 times)

Offline KBeat

Jumping in late, but what was DXO smoking?
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »
This a comment for this page on the website
I've long loved, and much used my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens on my similarly loved and used 5D Mark II. Together, they've logged just under 100,000 images.

I recently upgraded to a 5D Mark IV, and since I was selling some old gear, I decided to upgrade to the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II USM lens. After about a thousand shots, I can say with confidence there is simply no comparison between the two. The II performs much better and produces significantly sharper images. If I'm nitpicking I'd say I think I slightly prefer the bokeh of the original, but that's really subjective nitpicking on my part.

FWIW, both lenses had been micro-focus adjusted and I compared both on the 5D Mark IV as my Mark II was already sold by the time I got the new lens.

I have no idea how DXO came to recommend the original version for full frame cameras. For fun I checked a few other reviews, like dpreview.com, and they came to the same conclusion I did. In fact, I couldn't find any reviews and tests that gave the nod to the older version save DXO. Very strange.

If you're in the market for a fast 70-200 lens for a full frame Canon, I highly advise ignoring DXO in this case and going for the II. If you doubt me, rent them both and do your own comparison.